..: Lazy Buñuelos

Friday, May 30, 2014

Lazy Buñuelos





Yesterday morning while making Jon's lunch, he comes up to me and says, "Mom by the way I need you to make something for my heritage presentation"  I said " Ok when is it" Jon "tomorrow" Of course it is. "What should I make" Jon "I don't know something mexican" Oh gosh just stop talking ill think of something. Last year I made mini Flan cups they were a hit, but he had the same teacher again this year I decided I should probably make something different. I was talking to my mother in law and she said to try to make Buñuelos, I said that sounds good how do you make them.
Her version was 3 hour prep time, this mom did not have time for that I didn't get off work until 6 and still had to go to the grocery store to pick up some things. So I took a short cut and bought flour tortillas to fry, instead of making the dough from scratch and having it dry for 3 hours.

Recipe (I pretty much just eye balled everything, I try to pretend i'm a cool cook that way)
1 1/2c Coconut oil ( That's what I had, i'm sure any oil would be fine)
1c Sugar
1tbs Cinnamon ( A good chance I used more)
Flour tortillas

Start by heating the oil in a medium skillet on high heat.While that's heating up I started to cut the flour tortillas into triangles until I had about 35 triangles. Of course you can cut as many as you'd like,  Jon has 30 kids in his class the five extra were for any mistakes and tasting.
Time for the cinnamon sugar just combine the cinnamon and sugar (smells amazing). Than I dropped the triangle two at a time into the oil turning down the heat to medium. It takes about 10-15 seconds to bubble up the tortilla than I remove and immediately toss them into the cinnamon sugar give them a little shake to remove any excess sugar and place them on a plate (I try very hard not to eat one) and continue this until your all done.Enjoy! 


Jon said they were a hit yay!!!!